29 November 2016

SAQA 2017 Trunk Show preview #7

Rings and Things by Lois Wilby Hooper of Moores Mills, NB 

Rings and Things by Lois Wilby Hooper

LWB: With a piece of indigo dyed shibori, from a SAQA workshop, staring at me reproachfully from the shelf, I decided to have a play day. Anything goes, whatever happens, happens. So, collecting various scraps, odds and ends, and general leftovers, I set to work. I wanted to continue the circle theme across the piece. Some bits of net fused with metallic paint scraps and bits of Angelina fibres were free motioned in place. Then I added beading, crocheted rings and hand embroidery with hand dyed thread.

Stepping back to see the "avant garde" result, I had a good laugh at myself.  All my traditional needle arts background was readily apparent. You can take the artist away from the tradition, but you can't take the traditional skills out of the artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment